Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Revision Process: Synthesis Essay

The revision process helped immensely because it allowed outside perspectives to give me ideas.  My paper was about respect and my view of the idea could be different than the person next to me.  They gave me feedback I never thought of myself and then I was able to generate new ideas I didn't think of before.  While receiving revisions, it is always tough because I look at it as more work.  This was my first college paper I've received feedback on from both my peers and professor and it is different from high school in a sense that I feel my classmates care more.  The feedback is constructive and makes sense but at the same time I received compliments on the paper about places that I did something well.  I enjoyed how the revision days were split between two class periods.  It gave me the opportunity to edit different classmate's papers as well as have more than one person look at mine.  While reading a classmate's paper, I picked up new strategies of writing and it helped me take a new approach to the writing style for my paper.  The questions we used from the textbook to edit other papers were very in depth and I really had to think of good suggestions to help when editing.  There was no way to blow through it and give bad criticism.  Personally, I struggled with the synthesizing part of the paper and combining my outside sources with my personal experience.  It helped to look at a classmates paper and see their approach to combining ideas and how they transitioned from outside source to personal experience.  I needed to connect them in a cohesive way and show how it changed my initial perspective on the idea of respect.  Through editing I was able to fix my own paper and change it into a true synthesis paper.  Overall, the process helped my paper grammatically but more importantly I learned to write a synthesis essay and combine ideas from different sources and enhance my understanding of the idea of respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment